An iron front door instantly upgrades the look of any home while also providing enhanced security and protection. Opting for a classic square iron door design offers a stately, elegant aesthetic perfect for welcoming guests. In this article, we’ll look at the benefits of iron entry doors, why a square design is so popular, and how to incorporate one into your home.
Benefits of an Iron Front Entry Door Square
Iron has been used for entrance doors for centuries due to its strength, durability, and aesthetic appeal. Here are some of the top benefits iron front doors provide:
- Strength and Security – Iron doors are extremely tough and resistant to forceful entry. The metal construction and sturdy lock mechanisms help deter intruders.
- Weather Resistance – Iron won’t warp or crack from exposure to weather like wood doors. It stands up well to rain, wind, and UV rays.
- Durability – Properly maintained iron doors can last for decades without needing replacement. The sturdy metal withstands constant use.
- Energy Efficiency – A solid iron door provides excellent insulation, helping keep your home’s indoor temperature stable.
- Customization – Iron doors can be crafted in nearly endless design styles and customized with glass inserts, colors, hardware, etc.
- Enhanced Curb Appeal – An ornate iron door immediately ups the visual appeal of a home’s facade and entrance.
When coupled with a quality lock system, an iron front door provides one of the most secure entry points possible for your home. And iron’s inherent strength keeps the door looking great year after year with minimal upkeep required.
Why an Iron Square Door Design is So Popular
Of the many iron door styles available, a simple square design remains one of the most classic and popular. Here are some reasons why homeowners love square iron doors:
- Timeless Appearance – The straight, clean lines and flat panels of a square door deliver a timeless, traditional look suitable for any home style.
- Complements Other Doors – If you have other doors on your home with square designs, an iron square door will nicely match the overall theme.
- Easy to Finish and Decorate – The flat door and sidepanels lend themselves well to virtually any color, finish, or decorative hardware.
- Maximizes Viewable Area – Squared doors maximize the viewable area of any glass design or sidelite panels.
- Provides Strong Visual Weight – The full flat planes accentuate the feeling of stability, protection and permanence.
- Cost Effective – Square designs are usually the most budget friendly iron door option since they require less metal work.
Square iron doors work equally well in traditional homes as modern ones. Their clean, straightforward styling gives an elegant touch of class to any exterior entry.
Incorporating an Iron Square Door on Your Home
Here are some great tips for selecting and incorporating a square iron front door on your home:
- Choose a solid iron or steel thickness of at least 1/4″ for optimal strength and durability.
- Opt for tempered glass for any glass inlays to prevent easy breakage.
- Select stylish lever handles, knockers, kickplates and other hardware in a finish that coordinates with the door color.
- Add sidelite panels that match the door height and width to amplify the grand entrance.
- Paint or finish the door in a shade that complements your home’s color scheme.
- Install a quality multi-point lockset, security deadbolt, and door viewer for safety.
- Make sure the door opening is properly framed and sealed during installation for smooth operation.
- Consider installing a front portico, awning or entryway light above the door to highlight it.
- Accent with potted plants, decorative mats and other exterior decor to frame the doorway.
The right iron front door can greatly enhance curb appeal and give guests a lovely first impression when visiting your home. A squared design offers classic style that works with traditional or contemporary architecture. Made from durable, protective iron, it’s an entrance that will retain its regal beauty and strength for many years to come.